Help us out by shopping Amazon.com

Search:
Keywords:

Evinrude 3 HP Lightwin Tune-Up Project

Evinrude Litetwin Tune-Up Procedure

If you have comments or questions about the Evinrude 3 HP Lightwin, or similar Tune-UP project, please leave them below.

You must Login if you wish to leave comments.

Login with your Facebook account.

You can now login with your Facebook account.

Comments

hey guys i have the 3hp lightwin and last time i posted i had a bad head gasket. i got a new one and it ran great first pull actually. It started first pull without choke witch was odd to me because it had not been started in a while (any thoughts on that?)  but now the main problem is the starter spring snapped so i got a new one and need help on how i put it in the recoil assembly.

thanks everyone happy to be back with outboard people

Lots of good YouTube videos on this.   I have done this procedure myself and I can tell you it is not pretty!  It took me a lot of trial and error as everything is bass ackwards.

Do yourself a favor and take lots of pictures with your phone/camera so you can seel how it goes back together.

Also be careful as that spring can be dangerous.  Make sure you do not let it fly loose.  You will wish you had a third arm and hand.

i got it in it wasnt easy but i got it on another thought what would the value of my motor be would anyone be able to give me a estimate.   1957 evinrude lightwin 3 not restored only thing wrong is chipped paint

It gives me great satisfaction knowing that you were able to get your motor up and running, possibly with some help form this site.  Anytime someone like you fixes up an old boat motor so It can be enjoyed, makes the world a better place.

Unfortunately those little motors are not worth a whole lot in terms of money.  To me and others, they are worth a great deal because they are wonderful motors for all kinds of small boats and perfect for a kid to learn on.  You just can't buy anything new for under $800 that has anywhere near the quality of your little lightwin.  The saying "They don't make them like they used to" is true.  With all that has at being said, I would guess you could get between $300 and $400 on eBay.

If really wan't to sell it, I wold like to see you list in in the "For Sale" comments on this site.  You could be the first to do this!

There are several for sale on eBay.  One of the things I am working on here, right now, is putting in eBay links to all the parts and motors (thousands of them) to help people find what they need for their project.  Using the links here helps to generate funds to keep this site and projects going without becomming a personal expence.

Click Here to see the listing for motors similar to yours.

Also, I am a member of The Antique Outboard Motor Club, Inc. where they also list motors for sale and there are plenty of people who would drive in the snow across several states to pick yours up.

As for myself, I get the greatest pleasure in simply fixing up and giving boats and motors away to deserving members of younger generations.  This site generates enough funds to support my hobby and occational generosity.

In any case, that little Lightwin you fixed up deserves a good home and a owner who will appreciate it.

Tom Travis

i used a lot of help from your website i was very happy to find it with all of this information. i listed it on the for sale page here also. i had a lot if fun fixing up my lightwin and look forward to another project just like it might keep this on elonger and use it once or twice. im a younger guy 14 actually and its awesome you do with your projects.

In reply to by boatman350

Fantastic!  I would have guessed you were much older.  You sound impressive for your age.  The experience you gained will serve you well in life.  My only suggestion is for you to include your location in the add, at least city and state or zip code so people will know if they can go pick it up.  I recommend you keep the motor and find a boat to put it on, but that's just me.  I wish I could get back some of the things I sold over the years.  I am looking forward to hearing about your next project.

thanks thats a good idea to add a location on the ad.

What is the procedure for removing the prop on a lightwin out board? It's a 1959 model 3030.

Not much to it....  Remove the cap and cotter pin, unscrew the nut, remove the washer, then pull the prop off.  Be careful not to lose the sheer pin.

If you have any problems, let us know.  Here is a parts diagram so you can see how it comes apart.

Tom