General Comments

Here is where you can leave comments about this site, boats, motors, fishing, and other topics, or just simply say hello and tell us where you are from.  Please, no political, jokes, or anything not appropriate for this site. You must Login if you wish to leave comments.

Login with your Facebook account.

You can now login with your Facebook account.

Comments

Need Help by you experts. I have been going about getting this old engine going, I found out a few things from the old 52-54 evinrude manual but it says nothing about what is happening with this .After running it in a barrel of water and then storing it on a sawhorse I found a small puddle of gas had leaked out a tiny hole down under the horizontal fin like piece just above water intakes and exhaust.  Is it supposed to come out here? And will running the carb dry before shut down ( as per old manual) prevent this? I'm a newbie with this engine and need help ...Also I'm trying to find a free manual download ...thanks j bert

Thank you ttravis . I'm sure it is gas it has the same green color my mixed oil and gas has and it evaporates quickly leaving the greenish blue 2 stroke oil  . I couldn't read your entire post for some unknown reason ..could you copy and paste it to a e-mail . I'm at jeremy.w.bert@gmail.com . I had taken off the lower shroud to see if I could locate the source when I noticed it was coming out the tiny hole stbd side just below where the shaft connects to the prop assembly. It took overnight to manifest itself . Any other ideas? It almost seems like its like an overflow thing. I have both valve and vent shut ... It has done this twice...Seems to be running fine ??? Thanks for the comeback ...

Not sure.  It could be leaking down the driveshaft from the powerhead.  You may need to take the powerhead off to see if that is where it originates.  If you need a part number, let me know, and I will try to find it for you.  I am in the process of entering parts for all the older engines, but rings and seals will come later after tune-up parts.  I guess the big question you have to ask yourself is how much is it leaking and is it worth worrying about.  I don't think it is hurting anything to have a small leak.  You may want to ask the folks at iboats.com where you might get a better answer.

Well I found this morning that more gas had leaked out . not much but enough to put an oil sheen on the water! We will be taking boat / it to Mission Bay , SanDiego to visit Grandchildren and they are very nuts down there about any pollution. Someone reports you for spraying poison to keep ants out of your RV down there because a dirty old coot (mud hen) might eat a poisoned ant!!!  When you say " power head" I take it that, you mean the entire starter/gas tank and ignition assembly? Looks like I am going to have to . I'm starting to think that the gas shut off valve is leaking . Since the vent is shut it takes a while for the vacuum caused by leaking gas to get enough air to leak . That's why it happens every 24 hours or so. I see no place on the outside of the carb that looks wet. Does the carb have an overflow system that drains down to that hole? It may be that not only the shut valve leaks but the vent valve and the needle valve in the float bowl too. Dirt . I am definitely going to rebuild the carb and i will replace that seal you told me about as well. I have never worked on a marine engine , or a 2 stroke, but I have torn many a carb apart successfully .. Any tips would be appreciated.. Thank you Travis ! J Bert

The powerhead is fairly easy to remove.  I did this in my 5.5 HP Johnson tune-up project which you can read about here:  http://outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/Johnson/Remove%20Lower%20Unit%20a…

I also have a writeup on a 3 HP Evinrude which is basically the same as what you have.  You can read about that here:  http://outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/Evinrude%203%20HP%20Lightwin%20Ou…

I would suggest reading both because the carb and ignitions are so similar.

Have fun in California with the grandkids.  I will be in Wisconsin on Lake Michigan.  I have a link for up there as well:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC7QiRaJTbI&t=55s

I need a new shutoff valve for my 3 HP Evinrude.  When I find one, I will let you know.

I really appreciate your taking the time to help me like this ...I love this little engine its only 10 years younger than I am and fits my 14 foot wooden drift boat perfectly .I'll keep you posted on my progress...I have too many things on the burner right now . Jeremy

As I guessed the shut off valve leaks , I removed tank reinserted the valve and pored in mineral spirits to wash it out . I let it sit with vent open and it leaked and with the vent closed it still did but barely.  Surprisingly only a tiny bit of rust/dirt came out and these two parts of the cap safety  .someone must of yanked it long ago and this is probably why the vent doesn't seal completly..

Gas Tank
Gas cap safety

On your 5.5 HP you had linkage to take off . I don't see any on this one and there are only 5 screws. There is a little plate just above the seam that I haven't removed yet .

Power Head

OK my sentiments exactly. I'm going to proceed with removing power head and then get to ordering parts ...I'll check back in if I need help ..thanks again!

Take a look at this!! someone really built this up(chafing gear)  with wire ties and one  hose clamp and who knows what else , when it moves to the fast position the wires are pinched in half because such a huge bulb is made by the materials. then he has greased it so it moves  . What would you do ? I want to tear it off and come up with something better .

Stop position
Stop position n

Top cylinder 60lbs ,lower is 50 . will pull head and check/replace gasket and resurface if needed. Are rings still available for this engine? Compression Test

Help us out by shopping Amazon.com

Search: